Dr. Hasan is a Professor of Orthopaedics and the Chief of Shoulder and Elbow surgery at the University of Maryland School of Medicine in Baltimore, MD. He is double fellowship-trained in Shoulder and Elbow surgery as well as Orthopaedic Sports Medicine.
Dr. Hasan received his medical doctorate from Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. He went on to complete an orthopaedic surgery residency at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri, followed by an orthopaedic Sports Medicine fellowship in Northern Virginia. Dr. Hasan did his Shoulder & Elbow fellowship at the University of Pennsylvania under the mentorship of Gerald Williams, M.D.
His clinical practice spans the entire spectrum of shoulder and elbow conditions including shoulder and elbow replacements, both primary and revision; arthroscopic rotator cuff repairs; labral repairs and the Latarjet procedure for shoulder dislocations as well as tendon transfers for massive rotator cuff tears. He also specializes in elbow arthroscopy, and complex shoulder and elbow trauma. He receives referrals from all over Maryland and surrounding states for complex shoulder and elbow issues.
He is double board certified both in Orthopaedic Surgery and in Orthopedic Sports Medicine by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery and is an Active Member of the American Shoulder and Elbow Society.
Research Interests: Massive rotator cuff tears, tendon transfers, shoulder instability, shoulder arthroplasty outcomes, shoulder infections.
- Shoulder and Elbow Orthopedic Surgery
- University of Maryland Medical Center
- University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopedic Institute
- Member of UM Faculty Physicians, Inc.
- University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus
- UM Capital Region Health
- Georgetown University School of Medicine
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University
- Arthroscopy & Reconstructive Fellowship of N VA - Sports Medicine
- Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery - Orthopedic Sports Medicine
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery - Orthopedic Surgery
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- Charles S. Neer Award 2018
- AAOS Achievement Award 2018
Societies I am member of:
- American Orthoapedic Association (AOA)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- Maryland Orthopaedic Association-Past-President
- Indian American Shoulder & Elbow Society
- OMeGA Medical Grants Association
External Professional Relationships
A University of Maryland Department of Orthopedics faculty member may have external professional relationships with health-care related businesses. These relationships often lead to the development of new treatments and therapies. The Department of Orthopedics believes that transparency and honesty in the reporting of these relationships is essential to maintaining trust with our patients and mitigating any conflicts of interest or perceived conflicts that may arise.
For faculty who earn royalties on the sale of medical devices, no royalties are earned on any devices sold to patients or to hospitals that are part of the University of Maryland Medical System or in any other facilities where those faculty members treat patients.
All external professional relationships maintained by members of the University of Maryland Department of Orthopedics are reviewed and approved in advance by the Dean of the University of Maryland School of Medicine (UM SOM) for conformance with UM SOM policies in regarding conflicts of interest, conflicts of commitment, and professionalism.
Dr. Hasan disclosed the following external professional relationships
- View additional data at CMS Open Payments Data
- Clinical trial for tendon transfer for massive rotator cuff tear
- Clinical trial for subscapularis repair in reverse arthroplasty
- Outcomes of custom reverse arthroplasty
- Outcomes after Latarjet for shoulder instability
- Risk factors for post-operative infection
- Rotator cuff healing
- Computer-aided navigation, elbow surgery outcomes, rotator cuff healing, rotator cuff repair techniques, shoulder replacement surgery
- Preoperative Corticosteroid Injections Within 4 weeks of Arthroscopic Shoulder Procedures is Associated with Increased Postoperative Infection Rates.
- Baker M, Albelo F, Zhang T, Schneider MB, Foster MJ, Aneizi A, Hasan SA, Gilotra MN, Henn RF 3rd. PROMIS Depression and Anxiety in shoulder surgery patients. Bone Joint J. 2022 Apr;104-B(4):479-485. doi: 10.1302/0301-620X.104B4.BJJ-2021-1089.R1.PMID: 35360950
- Hamaker M, Stevens K, Rocca M, Song X, Hasan SA, Gilotra MG. Function after closed reduction from early unstable reverse shoulder arthroplasty. JSES Seminars Arthroplasty 2022;32:132-137.
- Ventimiglia DJ, Chrencik MT, Schneider MB, Zhang T, Munn MM, Kolakowski LC, Gilotra MN, Hasan SA, Henn RF III. Preoperative Factors Associated with Patient Satisfaction Two Years After Elective Shoulder Surgery. JSES International. 2022. [Epub ahead of print]. doi:10.1016/j.jseint.2022.04.008. PMIID: 35813145
- Kaveeshwar S, Stevens KN, Ventimiglia DJ, Zhang T, Schneider MB, Henry LE, Hasan SA, Gilotra MN, Frank RH III. Higher preoperative expectations predict better outcomes in shoulder surgery patients. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc, 2022 Jul 3. doi: 10.1007/s00167-022-07053-9. [Online ahead of print]. PMIID: 35780400
- Hamaker M, Enobun B, Kaveeshwar S, Hasan SA, Shiu B, Henn RF III F, Kilcoyne K, Srikumaran U, Gasbarro G, Zimmer Z, Gilotra M. Reliability, validity, and responsiveness of a novel subscapularis outcome score: The Baltimore Orthopedic Subscapularis Score. JSES International. [In-Press, August 2022]. PMIID: 36353434
- Fisher KJ, Livesey MG, Sax OC, Gilotra MN, O’Hara NN, Henn RF III, Hasan SA. Are Outcomes After Fixation of Distal Humerus Coronal Shear Fractures Affected by Surgical Approach? A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JSES Int. 2022 Sep 13;6(6):1054-1061. doi: 10.1016/j.jseint.2022.08.011. eCollection 2022 Nov. PMIID: 36353417
- Livesey MG, Weir TB, Addona JL, Curto R, Apte A, Hughes M, Enobun B, Henn RF III, Hasan SA, Gilotra MN. Patients' Understanding of Sling Necessity and Home Assistance Are Predictive of Sling Wear Following Shoulder Surgery. Am J Sports Med. In-Press September 2022. PMID: 36353417
- Henn RF 3rd, Hasan SA, Gilotra MN, Weir TB. To Drive or Not to Drive?: Commentary on an article by Ariel E. Badger, MS, et al.: "Patients Who Undergo Rotator Cuff Repair Can Safely Return to Driving at 2 Weeks Postoperatively". J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2022 Sep 21;104(18):e81. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.22.00736. Epub 2022 Sep 21. PMID: 36129677.
- Livesey MG, Bain SS, Weir TB, Kolakowski LC, Remily EA, Sax OC, Gilotra MN, Hasan SA. Does Needle Penetration of the Shoulder Joint Prior to Arthroscopy Increase Infection Risk? The effect of Pre-operative Magnetic Resonance Arthrogram or Corticosteroid Injection. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2022 Dec 26: S1058-2746. PMIID: 36581133
- Hasan SA, Fisher K, Henn RF, Gilotra M. Coronal Plane Articular Shear Fractures of the Distal Humerus. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2023 Mar 1;31(5):e235-e245. doi: 10.5435/JAAOS-D-21-00291. Epub 2023 Jan 18. PMID: 36727959.
- Livesey MG, Bain SS, Weir TB, Kolakowski LC, Rocca MS, Remily EA, Gilotra MN, Hasan SA. Does Timing Matter? The Effect of Preoperative Smoking Cessation on the Risk of Infection or Revision Following Rotator Cuff Repair. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. In-Press 2023. PMIID: 37030604
- Nadarajah V, Meredith SJ, Jauregui JJ, Smuda MP, Medina S, Gilotra MN, Hasan SA, Henn RF III. Preoperative Opioid Use in Shoulder Surgery Patients. Shoulder and Elbow, 2021 Jun;13(3):248-259. Epub 2019 Oct 17. PMID: 34659464
- Remily EA, Bains SS, Dubin JA, Hameed D, Chen Z, Livesey MG, Ingari JV, Gilotra MG. Hasan SA. Open Versus Arthroscopic Elbow Arthrolysis for Primary Osteoarthritis: A Comparison of Demographics and Complications at Two Years. J Orthop. 2023 Jul 4;42:30-33. doi: 10.1016/j.jor.2023.06.011. PMID: 37449025; PMCID: PMC10338139
- Jauregui JJ, Tran A, Kaveeshwar S, Nadarajah V, Chaudhri MW, Henn RF III, Gilotra MN, Hasan SA. Diagnosing a periprosthetic shoulder infection: A systematic review. J Orthop, 2021 Jul 13;26:58-66. doi: 10.1016/j.jor.2021.07.012. PMID: 34305349; PMCID: PMC8283270.
University of Maryland Orthopedic Associates